Overview of the Process
DQI has been designed to be used by everyone involved in the construction process from project managers to end users.
DQI should be used throughout the life of a building project and there are four assessment versions corresponding to the stage of the project or design:
- Briefing assessment is used to assess any early design schemes. This can be done immediately after establishing project design goals using the Briefing Module. (See below - the Briefing Module is used to enable key project stakeholders to form and record a consensus about their priorities and ambitions for the project)
- Mid-Design assessment allows the client and design teams to check whether their aspirations are being met throughout the design stage and to make adjustments accordingly
- Ready for Occupation assessment is used to check whether original intentions have been achieved immediately at occupation, and to set a benchmark against which the operation of the building can be later assessed
- In-Use assessment is used in order to receive feedback from the project team and the building users to help make improvements for this project and the next
The Briefing Module is used to set and/or adjust design goals and is typically used at the beginning of a project, but can be used on a stand-alone basis at later stages. It defines what design aspects are “Required”, what are “Desired” and what would be “Inspired” in the completed building (RDI). It helps set priorities and answer questions such as, ‘what do we want?’ and ‘where do we want to spend the money?’. The RDI process requires the stakeholders to collectively identify what is important to them in the design of the building, permitting them to prioritize practical and value-based building criteria among the three categories. RDI permits the stakeholders to consider factors that help the design achieve excellence and create a building of distinction.
Ideally you should start using the DQI Briefing Module as early as possible in the process, however you can apply DQI for the first time to a project which is already in design and also completed buildings.
The following individuals are required to take part in the DQI process:
- A DQI Leader, a member of project team, who champions the process and promotes early stakeholder engagement. They will work with a DQI Facilitator/Trailblazer to achieve the best results.
- DQI Respondents (typically 5-15 people) assembled by the DQI Leader and drawn from a range of stakeholders including; clients, members of the design team, users, contractors and facilities managers. Respondents use DQI to discuss their wishes for the proposed building and then to assess the design and completed building.
- A DQI Facilitator/Trailblazer who will help get the most out of the process. Independent facilitation is strongly recommended and DQI USA has a list of trained and accredited facilitators or Trailblazers who can help.
DQI collects views from respondents about a building's functionality, build quality and impact.
The steps to using DQI are:
- Step 1 appoint DQI Leader as early as possible to champion DQI at project meetings
- Step 2 DQI Leader commissions a DQI Facilitator/Trailblazer well in advance of proposed DQI workshop
- Step 3 DQI Leader to familiarize DQI Facilitator/Trailblazer with the project and discuss the approach to applying DQI
- Step 4 the DQI Leader or DQI Facilitator/Trailblazer buys DQI Leader keys and registers the project with the online DQI tool
- Step 5 respondents are recruited and a workshop is arranged
- Step 6 DQI Facilitator/Trailblazer runs DQI workshop
- Step 7 outcomes are reviewed to inform the briefing, design or management process. The next DQI workshop is arranged (step 6)
DQI is paid for by buying 'keys'. You need one key to use the DQI Briefing Module and one key for each assessment undertaken so therefore in a typical project you would expect to need 4 to 5 keys. A single DQI key costs $1,000.
Use of DQI is subject to the terms and conditions of use.
We recommend employing a trained Facilitator/Trailblazer to get the most from the DQI process. You should approach several Facilitators/Trailblazers and discuss the level of service you require.
You can either:
DQI USA operates a discount structure for DQI USA Affiliate Members wishing to purchase a large number of DQI uses in one transaction. Please contact DQI USA for further details.